Ngā Roto Moana
The Te Arawa Lakes are:
- Lake Ngāhewa
- Lake Ngāpouri (or Opouri)
- Lake Okareka
- Lake Okaro (or Ngakaro)
- Lake Okataina
- Lake Rerewhakaaitu
- Lake Rotoiti
- Lake Rotoehu
- Lake Rotomā
- Lake Rotomahana
- Lake Rotorua
- Lake Tarawera
- Lake Tikitapu
- Lake Tutaeinanga
Three of the Te Arawa lakes — Ngāpouri / Opouri, Tutaeinanga and Ngāhewa are located in the Waikato Region. The remaining 11 lakes are located within the Bay of Plenty Region.
In order to develop a work plan for our lakes, we need to understand the overall health of our lakes, projects, research and monitoring being undertaken, as well as the management plans associated with each lake.
As a result, we have developed the Te Arawa Lakes Info Sheets, which includes the following information about each of our lakes:
- The status of water quality for each lake i.e. is it healthy? Can I swim there?
- The projects, research and monitoring occurring on the lakes.
- The outcomes of the lake research and monitoring.
- The role of the Trust, Bay of Plenty Regional Council and Rotorua Lakes Council with the lakes.
You can find a link to these sheets below under the corresponding lake. Other reports and assessments can also be found below.
For the latest health warnings and notices of events/closures, visit the Te Arawa Lakes Programme website.